Experiences with Snipcart regarding German & EU legal requirements?

Hi everyone :wave:

I am currently looking into the usage of Snipcart. In this process, I am seeking for fellow users experience to see if it can be a good fit (which I would really like).

As I am located in Germany though, the whole Schrems II / Privacy Shield and GDPR topic (as well as specific German requirements) is something I need to be concerned with. A lawyer told me the best thing (until there is a new settled cooperation between US and EU) to mitigate any risks concerning these topics (apart from good legal texts and a given DPA) would be to find a solution from within the EU. If that is not possible, he continued, there will always be a little “risk” involved - even though this is tiny, especially for small e-commerce endeavours since it would affect thousands of shops…

Long story short: I guess everything in life is a little risky, so I am hoping to gather some real life insights from fellow German/EU humans using Snipcart if it is possible to take on all requirements and / or what your experiences are with the Snipcart solution regarding the above-mentioned requirements?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Woody

2 Likes

We understand your concern regarding compliance with EU data protection laws and we are happy to provide you with the information you need.

Our product is fully compliant with GDPR regulations. All data collected on citizens must be either stored in the EU, so it is subject to European privacy laws, or within a jurisdiction that has similar levels of protection. In 2020 Schrems II invalidated the GDPR’s 2016 EU-US Privacy Shield, however, in 2022 a new agreement was reached, the Trans-Atlantic Data Privacy Framework. This new agreement allows data to flow freely and safely between EU and participating U.S. companies.

Our servers are located in the East U.S., and we are using Azure cloud service. We are confident that using our product guarantees you compliance with European Data Protection regulations.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,