Can't seem to resolve the "Since no weight was specified, free shipping is returned." Error

On my site I have the following structure to an item that I want to have shipping calculated at checkout, but upon trying several different things including defining data-item-weight, data-item-height, data-item-length, and data-item-width I can’t get around the “Since no weight was specified, free shipping is returned” error.

Checking my site via curl requests show that these HTML attributes are setup on the page that contains the snipcart-add-item element.

$ curl -s "<path-to-item>" | grep -B 4 "data-item-weight"
           class="kg-product-card-button kg-product-card-btn-accent snipcart-add-item"
           target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"
           data-item-id="<my-item-id>"
           data-item-price="0.75"
           data-item-weight="100"

Though this following error keeps showing up in the developer logs.

Since no weight was specified, free shipping is returned. Make sure you specify the product dimensions. https://docs.snipcart.com/v3/setup/products#product-dimensions

Is there something else I’m missing here?

I have followed the instructions to the best of my ability from Product Options: Altering Items Prices with Custom Fields and Products – Snipcart Documentation

Could it be that the authentication to the integrated shipping provider is incorrect or would that surface as a different error? Given there weren’t any explicit step by step examples on how to configure USPS or UPS I’m grasping at straws to make sure I add the correct access token / username to various places in the snipcart interface.

As well as found this other help/support topic that had someone else with a similar issue, but in their case they weren’t adding the data-item-weight attribute whereas here I am → My site keeps showing "free_shipping" no matter what address I put in and USPS is enabled and configured.

(sorry was limited to 2 links per post… since I am “new here”)

Hey @tmack8001 ,
Since this cause would require us to check your site, can you send us an email to geeks@snipcart.com with the following info:

1. The email of the account
  2. Link to the site that has the issue
  3. Steps to reproduce the issue

Speaking with support the issue was there wasn’t an appropriate USPS shipping method clicked (I only selected one to start testing and apparently it wasn’t available for the addresses I was testing with) and additional to that there is an unknown error being returned by the UPS integration. Support mentioned for the UPS issue in the past there have been requirements to request UPS to enable something on your account to fix these.

Thanks for your help in resolving this. It would be nice if there were more visible errors or logs to show what is actually happening and not just “couldn’t select a shipping method; weight must be missing” type messaging cause weight was definitely there and I was messing with that for quite some time before simply giving up with integrations and going with a custom shipping price.

1 Like